Up until recently, all my prints have been out of ABS, but I have a decent selection of PLA waiting to be put the use. The problem being that every time I tried to print with PLA, I’d end up frustrated and picking bits of failed print out of the extruder and throwing out tangled messes. I tried everything, but that’s for another post.
I was determined to make it work, so when my cousin pointed out a Minecraft Diamond ore lamp on thingiverse, it was the perfect project to test my PLA skills. Plus I had the perfect colours ready to go.
The silver printed like a dream. I enlarged the model to 12.5cm cubed and added Blue PLA to the inside for the full effect. I did consider remodeling it and printing it as a dual colour model, but I’m glad I didn’t. The settings for the two different PLAs turned out to be worlds apart.
Silver lamp Settings; 210C, bed at 55C, 0.2mm layers, supports added, rectilinear infill, three solid shell layers printed on kapton tape with the fan. It stuck like a dream and just printed the way it should.
Blue settings; same same but 222C. I tried for 225C but my Flashforge seemed to hit a limit of 222C so that had to do. Anything below that and there’s no way the blue would stick. I’ve had trouble with that filament since it arrived. It’d never stick and always curled up. Then it dawned on me that the one thing I’d forgotten to mess with was the temperature.
So in the end, two good prints with two different colours, but only with two different temperature settings.
Now I’m off to the post office tomorrow to send it as an early birthday present. Happy very early birthday Connor.